Posted on | April 19, 2011 | No Comments
I have been following the DiscoverAmerica Daily Getaway deals sponsored by American Express. Having missed out on the Hyatt points deal last week I was interested to see what kind of deal the Choice Privileges points will bring. After reading The Points Guy article about various ways to redeem these points I found out that points can be redeem at the Preferred Hotel Group properties that are available all over the world. I started looking for hotels at destination that I was interested in going to; comparing the points required and the prices at various booking websites. At the rate of $166 for 40,000 points this came out to be 0.415 cents per points. For this sample I selected Sept 7 to Sept 14, 2011.
1) Bangkok, Thailand – Iebua at State Tower – 40,000 points($166) or $130 at Travelocity (a $14 less)
2) Bangkok, Thailand – The Landmark – 30,000 points($124) or $109 at Orbitz ($15 more)
3) Koh Samui, Thailand – Tongsai Bay Cottage – 50,000 points($207) or $316 at Travelocity ($108 more!)
4) Honolulu, Hawaii – Waikiki Parc – 40,000 points($166) or $180 at Orbitz ($14 more)
5) Honolulu, Hawaii – Trump International Waikiki – 50,000 points($207) or $372 at Orbitz ($165 more!)
6) Paris, France – Castille Paris – 50,000 points($207) or $389 at Hotels.com ($182 more!)
It appears that the best redemption are at high end properties. For low ends it’s probably best to save my money and book them on booking websites. I will passed on this deal today as I do not normally spend about $100 or less for room. This would be a good time to splurge on a few luxury nights however.